Login Register
 °

Banned erotica show 'will find a venue in Glastonbury' say organisers

By Central Somerset Gazette  |  Posted: June 13, 2013

Comments (0)

ORGANISERS of a festival of erotica due to take place in Glastonbury say they will be back with a new venue later this summer – but not until they have taken their 'banned in Glastonbury' show on the road.

In last week's Central Somerset Gazette, we reported that Mendip District Council had cancelled the booking for the festival, which had been scheduled to take place at Tor Sport and Leisure Centre on Saturday night.

Organiser Yuri Leitch from the artistic collective Pan Summers said: "It is very frustrating but we are not giving up. We shall take our local artists to Bath and will put on a 'Banned in Glastonbury' show."

He said they hope to relaunch their Festival of Erotica later this summer at an alternative venue in Glastonbury.

He accused Mendip District Council of unfair behaviour and censorship of by cancelling the booking at the leisure centre.

He said the venue was routinely used for stag parties and Ann Summers parties.

A Facebook page has been set up to support the festival condemning Mendip's decision to pull the plug on the booking and accusing them of censoring the arts.

"It is also completely out of touch with what Glastonbury people want," Mr Leitch said, adding he had taken legal advice on whether the cancellation constituted a breach of contract.

"The town is liberal and our show had no full nudity, it was mainly just fun and frolics, laughter, innuendo and tease."

Mr Leitch said there was good news for the people of Glastonbury who were left dismayed by the cancellation of the festival.

"We'll be back," he said. "Pan never stays down for long."

Mendip were not available for comment.

Read more from Central Somerset Gazette

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

Hot Jobs